This blog has moved! Redirecting...
You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://scrolls.mafgani.net/ and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Return of DARKWORLD

Yup! My favorite PC just regained Net connectivity today. I moved into the new apartment this morning and was up and running by the evening. The guy who I share the place with wasn't around and so I would have had to wait till I got the info about the wireless network. So, instead of waiting, I just decided to see what kind of a WLAN he has ... and oh my oh my ... there were 5 freakin' access points around -- and 3 of them completely unsecured! As it turned out, one belonged to the dude I share the place with ...

Anyway, then I decided to catch up on my TV eps (Stargate SG1/Atlantis, Threshold, Supernatural, Doctor Who) and f*** the speed sux! It's a bloody T-Online DSL1000 Flat deal. Anyway, the IP I got was "192.168.0.5", so I deduced that the router should be at "192.168.0.1" or "192.168.0.254". And sure enough there it was in the first address. Obviously, it asked me for a password that I didn't know. So, I just tried "admin:1234" .. and nope, no go .. Then I thought I'd just do a little net search. The router was NETGEAR (deduced from the WLAN SSID), so I just googled "netgear default password" and the 4th hit came up with "admin:password". Turns out the guy didn't even change that password :D So, I got in, fiddled around with the NAT settings and Azureus was NAT free in no time. This has got to be the prime example of an unsecured network ...

Anyway, once the guy got back, I explained everything to him and changed the router password and setup a WEP-key. It seems there was a machine leeching off of this net and things improved a little once that dude got kicked out. It turns out DSL6000 costs just as much as he pays right now -- but he has no use for so much bandwidth when I'm gone -- so we'll just change to DSL2000 with 384k upload for now. That should be enough for me to download the occasional SG1 / Doctor Who episode :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home