This blog has moved! Redirecting...
You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://scrolls.mafgani.net/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, October 21, 2005

VLC with FC4

So, here comes my first 2-cent-worth post. I know it's nothing spectacular but being a newbie, I feel a lot of things that are mundane matters for the experienced user are pretty confusing for the newcomer. Anyway, I realized that after installing VideoLanClient on my box, it would give a nice little segmentation fault and crash if I tried playing *.avi files. After consulting with darkknight, my mentor, I found out that the latest version of VLC (obtained from Livna) for FC4 using a 32 bit system was unstable. The solution: get an older version from the "dries" repository. Of course, you have to disable Livna so that yum gets the older version.

This I did as follows:

[root@localhost ~]# yum --disablerepo=livna --enablerepo=dries install videolan-client


And viola!! It works!!! The only other problem I had was that subtitles failed to load. So, I went back to the terminal and looked at the error messages. A truetype font was missing. I downloaded the missing font and simply put it in the destination directory. This was done as follows:

First the directory was created because it didn't exist earlier:


[zubin@localhost ~]$ sudo mkdir -p /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont


And then, I moved the font from my desktop (where I had saved it) to that folder:


[zubin@localhost ~]$ sudo mv ~/Desktop/FreeSerifBold.ttf /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/


And there we go - if it wasn't for the damn midterm coming up, I'd have seen the movie. I guess I'll have to wait till Monday for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home